ENHANCING THE BELLEAYRE EXPERIENCE
This past season at Belleayre proved to be a season of growth and change for us and the changes have not yet stopped for the upcoming season. Additional investments in Belleayre have the staff working hard on projects geared towards improving the overall customer experience and customer service at Belleayre. Be sure to check back regularly for updates.
Whats Happening on the mountain?
EXPANDED BEGINNER TERRAIN - Trees have been cut around the front of the Discovery Lodge, almost doubling our beginner teaching terrain. The newly expanded area will have separate areas for our snowsports lessons and the general public.
SUPERCHIEF LOADING AREA - The loading area at the Superchief Lift was regraded to and expanded. Regrading of the area will change the drainage of surface water away from the lift during spring months. We added another 25 feet to the loading area as well.
DISCOVERY LODGE - The Discovery Lodge is receiving some TLC with a fresh coat of new paint.
CHAIR LIFT CUSHIONS - 267 seat cushions will be added to the Superchief & Tomahawk lift chairs.
GROOMERS PUB AND LOUNGE - Visit Groomers Pub & Lounge and try out the new furniture! With an assortment of high tops, stools, chairs and tables you can comfortably enjoy the fabulous Belle views in true rustic lodge style!
GLADES - We will continue our efforts to expand and clear our gladed terrain, including widening the Dreamcatcher Glade.
BELLEAYRE BEACH - The Belleayre Beach received a band new fleet of pedal boats. The new boats are self-draining, easy to operate and are virtually maintenance-free.
BELLEAYRE MUSIC FESTIVAL - After taking a year off, the summer concert series is back and has a new home in the Discovery Lodge. The festival will showcase The Yardbirds, Pee Wee Ellis & Billy Harper, Cristina Fontinelli, Paul Green, Anderson East, Paul Green Rock Academy All stars performing the music of Frank Zappa & more!
As new projects begin we will keep you updated....
- SOLAR ENERGY TO POWER BELLEAYRE - Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced on July 29, 2015, that the three state operated ski resorts at Belleayre, Gore and Whiteface Mountain have committed to using solar power to operate their ski lift and snowmaking operations. Visit the official website of New York State to read the press release.
- NEW WEBSITE - belleayre.com received a new makeover and was launched on June, 4, 2015. The site is now responsive making it easier to view and navigate on multiple devices - mobile, tablets and computers.
- STREAMING WEBCAM - A LIVE streaming webcam was installed and went live January 3, 2016. The Belleayre WebCam is located on the upper mountain at the Overlook Lodge. Take control of the camera and you can pan, tilt and zoom or choose from a preset position to view the Superchief Quad, Lower Wanatuska, Lift #7, Overlook Base area, Chinook trail or the Overlook Bar Deck.
- PHASE II OF THE DISCOVERY RENTAL CENTER - Last season, a new rental building was built and opened on Christmas 2014. Phase II has already started and will consist of putting the finishing touches on the building with fresh paint on the walls, signage, lockers and additional seating for putting on boots. Airlocks will be added to all entrances and exits of the building as well.
- SNOWMAKING UPGRADES - The zoning of the snowmaking lines on the west side of the mountain will continue this summer. This will allow us to efficiently make more snow on the west side, especially on the Deer Run trail, without having to sacrifice snowmaking on other trails.
- DREAMCATCHER GLADE - The addition of the Dreamcatcher Glade was a huge hit with skiers and snowboarders. We are going to continue our efforts in widening and clearing out the glade this summer.
- SKI PATROL - The first aid facilities will be moving out of the Overlook and Discovery Lodges to a more centrally located area. Patrollers can be easily dispatched to either the upper mountain or lower mountain.
- TIGER DEN - The Tiger Den drop off center will be moving to the Discovery Lodge adjacent to the Kidscamp Program. Now all of our children programs will be located in one building.
- NEW MOUNTAIN SIGNAGE - All of our on-mountain signage is getting a new look.
- CHANGES IN SNOWSPORTS PROGRAMS - We have made some changes to some of our snowsport programs.
- Alpine Development - The age limit was lowered to now include 5 & 6 year olds.
- Freestyle Program - Additional early & late season training dates were added to the calendar.
- Coaches-in-Training Program - This new program was added to the lineup for those who want to learn how to become a successful coach at Belleayre.
- Adult Midweek Workshop - The workshop is now split into two 4 week sessions and gives you the most flexibility. Choose one session, two sessions or the full 8 week program.
- New Meeting Place For All Group and Private Lessons - All lessons will meet at the Discovery Lodge. This change allows the ability to have more instructors on hand when booking private and group lessons.
- BELLEAYRE BEACH - Exciting happenings at the Belleayre Beach for the summer of 2015!
- New Food - The Beach Snack Shack added a deep fryer and now can offer french fries, cheese fries and onion rings. The BBQ grill will also get fired up this summer so look for burgers, hot dogs and more food options at the beach.
- New Boat Dock - A bigger and better boat dock was added at the beach. All of our paddle boats and row boats are now conveniently located in one easy to get to place.
- Stand Up Paddle Board Rentals - Anyone of all ages and skill levels can take advantage of this new way of "boating" and experience the lake like never before.
- Beach Parties - A couple of beach parties were added to the calendar of events at the Belleayre Beach. Live music, kids activities, beverages & BBQ throughout the day are just some of the fun events happening at the parties.
2014 - 2015 ENHANCEMENTS
- NEW TRAIL - DREAMCATHER GLADE - The Dreamcatcher glade was added to west side of the mountain, right off of the Deer Run trail. The trail was cleared out and in early November and was opened to the public on February 11, 2015. This new trail was a great addition to the mountain and showcased the variety of terrain that Belleayre has to offer.
- CAFETERIA RENOVATION - The Overlook Lodge cafeteria was completely renovated. The new grab-n-go layout helped reduce lines, bottlenecks and improve the flow through the cafeteria.
- GROOMERS PUB - The Overlook Lodge Carving Board located next to Groomers Lounge received a new makeover and a new name – Groomers Pub. The serving windows were cut open and made wider and additional "bar type" food was added to the menu giving customers more of a variety of food options at the mountain. New for this season at the pub, sit down table service.
- NEW GROOMER - A brand new Piston Bully PB400 winch cat was added to the grooming fleet. The winch cat allows us to push snow up the mountain and to cut back on some snowmaking costs while still providing excellent snow and conditions.
- SNOWMAKING UPGRADES - The summer also brought extensive snowmaking upgrades - including a three "zone" water line segregation to the upper half of the mountain. Also added were 25 new Sky Giant Flanged Heads to our snow guns to increase our existing snowmaking capabilities. Both of these snowmaking
upgrades allowed us to put low energy snow guns at the top of the mountain, make more snow on the upper half of the mountain and become more energy efficient. We also received a new electric Cameron Turbo Air 3000 compressor, which replaced four diesel compressors. The compressor is more efficient than the diesel compressors and also allows us to pump more water at a faster rate.
- NEW RENTAL SHOP - In front of the Discovery Lodge, a new 120' x 50' structure was built and is the new home of the Discovery Rental Zone and Rossignol Experience Center. Phase I of the project was completed on December 24, 2015 and the new rental shop opened on Christmas Day. Phase II of the project will begin during the summer of 2015. Phase II will include additional walls, flooring and new signage. This new rental space streamlined the rental process making it customer friendly, easier and more efficient to get to each station. Wait times were cut down from an hour at times to 20 minutes or less during holiday periods with virtually no wait midweek and much less of a wait on weekends. In the process, bottlenecks were eliminated. Also new this year, the rental shop purchased snowskates for rent – which is a hybrid of a skateboard and a snowboard.
- PARALLEL FROM THE START - The Parallel from the Start Program was added to our snowsports programming lineup. This trademarked program utilizes familiar movements and skis designed with beginners in mind. The 3 day program includes 3 days of beginner mountain lift tickets, 3 days of rentals and 3 days of class lessons. The 3 day Parallel from the Start Program can be used at Belleayre, Gore and Whiteface Mountains or in any combination at the three mountains. After completing all three days, the customer received a free SKI3 Frequent Skier Card. A one day PFS program is also offered and similar one and three day Learn to Snowboard packages are also offered.
- SKI3 PRODUCTS - In addition to the SKI3 Parallel from the Start and Learn to Snowboard packages, other SKI3 items were added to the lineup including the SKI3 Snow Sampler and SKI3 Military Pass. All SKI3 products can be used at Belleayre, Gore and Whiteface Mountains.
- RESTROOM RENOVATION - The Discovery Lodge restroom was completely remodeled with new tile, flooring, stalls and fixtures.
- NEW E-STORE - The ecommerce store was overhauled and was launched during the summer of 2014. The online store is now integrated into our sales program - which will streamline the purchasing of season passes and programming. For the first time, daily lift tickets were available for purchase through the Belleayre.com website and customers saved up to 44% on their daily lift tickets.
- KIDSCAMP - Kidscamp moved into the old rental shop in the Discovery Lodge. This move more than doubled the inside area of the Kids Zone and the extra space was used for seating and registration for the program.